WALKING TOUR OF SOFIA | ADVENTURES WITH ASHLEE

So my third and final day of Sofia was dedicated to visiting the beautiful sites of Sofia. I got a map of Sofia from Hostel Mostel and I had actually stumbled across some of the “must-see” places just by chance. I decided that my last day I will spent trekking around Sofia, like what I did on my last day in Rome.

After my trip to Rila Mountain and Monastery, I grabbed my bags from Hostel Mostel, said goodbye to my new friends and started my trek to Hotel Favorit. Its actually quite funny, because I was talking to a gentlemen I met on my trip and then we realised I had been walking 10 minutes in the wrong direction Lool. Once I checked in to my hotel room, which was incredible might I add – I went for a little wonder in the local area and went to grab a bite to eat. After such a long day I decided that I would have a really chilled evening at the hotel and I was in by about 8/9pm. I treated myself to a cheeky chicken-kebab thingy, it twas so gooood! I also came across an indoor market called Central Hally Store and picked up some yummy desserts. One was great, it was a Bulgarian biscuit cake; the other was not so great, it was Tiramisu which I guess I should have waited to eat in Italy LOL. I caught up with emails, scheduled tweets and watched a couple TV series before falling asleep. I also had the best shower EVER! No seriously, it was amazing! .

After an incredible nights sleep, I was read to start my day. Hotel Favorit included breakfast in the cost of the stay so I made sure to fuel myself up on their delicious breakfast buffet. The first place I stumbled across was Lady’s Market, which is an outside market that sells everything. Food, clothes and traditional Bulgarian pottery. I bought several items from this lovely couple that owned stall/store in Lady’s Market. They were absolutely hilarious, I said that when I return to Sofia ‘I’ll be back’ and they were literally cracking up laughing and kept referencing Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Terminator. My adventure started at Lady’s Market and ended at Lady’s Market (yes, I did in fact so back on the same day). After a long day of trekking, I went back to Hotel Favorit to collect my things and then made my way to the airport. What would of been an hour to 2 hour journey ended up being on 30 minutes because the lovely gentleman at Reception in Hotel Favorit told me a much quicker route (thank you!).

Places I visited:
– Lady’s Market (twice) – outdoor market: food, clothes, traditional Bulgarian pottery
– Pivotska Street – pedestrian shopping street
– Central Hally Store – Indoor market stall
– Statue of St Sophia
– Sveta Nedelya Church (St Nedelia Church)
– Sofia Synagogue
– Saint Alexander Nevski Cathedral
– St Nicholas Russian Church
– Court of Justice (just from the outside)
– Banya Banshi Mosque
– Vitosha Boulevard
– Book Market

I would definitely recommend anyone visiting Sofia to visit these places. They are all within walking distance from each other, free to visit and a really nice way to learn about the history and culture of Sofia.

Share:

15 Comments

1. April 26, 2017 / 9:07 pm

Lovely photos, you’ve totally inspired me to visit!

2. April 26, 2017 / 9:08 pm

Lovely photos, you have given me inspiration for a new place to visit!

3. April 26, 2017 / 9:41 pm

Ahh I cannot wait to visit Sofia one day! It looks absolutely wonderful. I tried visiting earlier this year but it didn’t work out and I’be been dreaming of it ever since 🙁

4. April 26, 2017 / 10:20 pm

The pottery is very pretty! And the breakfast buffet made me hungry! sounds like a really great place to visit. Thanks for sharing!

5. April 27, 2017 / 8:19 am

I gazed on your pottery and textile pictures. I love those! I wish I could be there now and I will def bring home some of their traditional textiles.

♥ Fillia@thereforewego

6. April 27, 2017 / 5:57 pm

I’m so glad I found your article because I’m going to Sofia for a long weekend at the end of the month! Thanks for writing, you’ve given me lots of ideas on things to do – and your pictures look amazing!

• AshleeMoyo
      April 27, 2017 / 9:07 pm

Awhh, I am glad you’ve enjoyed the post. Have a great time in Sofia and I would love to see how it goes (:

• AshleeMoyo
      April 27, 2017 / 9:08 pm

I have another post coming out this week which has tips for travelling to Sofia.

7. April 27, 2017 / 7:40 pm

I think you’ve sold me on maybe planning a visit there! So happy for you that you went and so proud that you did it!

Jessica & James | foodandbaker.co.uk

8. April 28, 2017 / 4:53 am

Nice sharing 🙂 This is one of my favorite posts that you’ve done.

9. April 28, 2017 / 3:08 pm

Sofia seems like a fascinating city. I love history and would love to learn about the history there. I’m currently trying to figure out my summer travel plans and was considering Sofia. You’ve just bumped it up on my list!

10. abbeylouisarose
    April 28, 2017 / 6:24 pm

Wow, this post has given me such wanderlust, Ashlee! All the goods at the market were gorgeous, especially all the ceramics! It’d have been so hard for me not to walk away with loads and loads haha! The hotel you stayed at looks fab too, especially the brekkie!

Abbey 💜 http://www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

11. April 28, 2017 / 7:31 pm

Your pictures really capture every aspect of your exploration in this city, and I think that is just amazing. I almost feel like I am there. The architecture is amazing, of course, but the food looks really wonderful as well.